As the year draws to a close, I thought I’d reflect on some of the best dining experiences I had this year.
It was a bit of a slow year for talk&spoon and I didn’t post as much as I wanted to. This was largely due to the fact I was planning a wedding at the start of the year, followed by a honeymoon in Japan, during which I made a point not to photograph everything we ate and just ‘live in the moment’. As newlyweds we also endeavoured to save a bit of money and rather put it towards our new home together, which also meant less eating out. A couple of months ago I also took 8 weeks out to do the ‘I Quit Sugar’ programme – a bit of a personal experiment that made eating out difficult. Nevertheless I did have some great meals along the way and here’s a short list of my top 5 from 2016:
- My number one has got to be the meal we had at Mr Wong for our wedding. The food there is incredible normally, but Dan Hong and the guys put in an extra special effort for our big day (the first wedding they’ve ever hosted!).
2. In terms of breakfast foods, Kettle Black in Melbourne pretty much took the cake for us this year. Everything from the food to the decor and setting was so pretty and well executed.
3. I was thrilled to bits when one of my HK favourites came to do a Sydney pop-up! Yardbird @ Harpoon Harry definitely delivered all the goods.
4. It was my first time heading to the Broadsheet Restaurant pop-up. While the dining experience itself was a bit disjointed, each dish itself was awesome. It was really fun to be able to try food from different restaurants all on the one night.
5. Finally, the newly opened seafood restaurant Saint Peter in Paddington was one of my most recent dining experiences. Every bit of this meal blew me away – can’t wait to go back!
Wishing you all a lovely New Years Eve with family and friends. Looking forward to more foodie adventures next year!